JOIN THE TEAM
Thank you for your interest in Wide Angle. We are currently hiring for the following positions:
Are you looking for a mission-driven career? Do you thrive in environments where you can flex a wide range of communications and development skills? Are you excited by the prospect of devising and implementing organization-wide strategy to help make a real impact in the community?
Through media arts education, Wide Angle Youth Media cultivates and amplifies the voices of Baltimore youth to engage audiences across generational, cultural, and social divides. Wide Angle programs inspire creativity and instill confidence in young people, empowering them with skills to navigate school, career, and life.
REPORTS TO: Development and Communications Director
STATUS: Full Time, Nonexempt
START DATE: January-February, 2019
Wide Angle is currently seeking an exceptional candidate for the role of Communications Coordinator to support the organization’s communications, marketing, and development strategies. The successful candidate will report to and work closely with the Development and Communications Director. This position will help the organization execute its strategic plan (wideanglemedia.org/plan), begun in 2017, to reach a budget of 1.3M by FY 2022. Wide Angle is a high-energy workplace that thrives on the collaboration among students, staff and non-profit partners. The successful candidate will participate in affiliate race equity work in the organization, both internally and externally, as well as accomplish the wide variety of tasks and responsibilities as outlined below:
● Develop a multimedia communication plan utilizing graphic design, video and photography to promote Wide Angle to donors, stakeholders, students, community and audience members - maximizing public awareness of the organization,
● Expand social media and website presence to double social media following on Facebook and Instagram,
● Maintain current website content on SquareSpace, to highlight youth media, document classrooms, and post current blog entries on the website,
● Create communications and marketing copy to promote specific giving campaigns: Annual Fall Event, Giving Tuesday, End of Year Giving, Donor Valentine, and Spring Campaign,
● Oversee email communications to list of over 2,000 community members,
● Design annual Impact Report,
● Develop and implement new strategies to grow organizational presence in the Baltimore community and drive recruitment efforts, in partnership with the Director of Programs,
● Serve as a staff liaison on Wide Angle’s volunteer Marketing and Communications Committee.
● Conceptualize and develop strategy for special fundraising events alongside Event Coordinator and Development and Communications Director,
● Manage announcements and invitations for special events,
● Develop new opportunities to showcase youth media locally, ie: expand screening partnerships and create comprehensive events calendar to strengthen distribution of work,
● Identify and cultivate event sponsorship packages,
● Represent Wide Angle at additional relevant public activities and speak on behalf of the organization, if needed.
● Oversee monthly submission of youth-produced videos to local, national and international film festivals,
● Communicate with staff and students when films are accepted,
● Coordinate with Director of Programs and Youth Film Ambassadors to help youth producers attend festivals and other speaking engagements when possible,
● Support additional opportunities to share printed materials through exhibitions, product sales, identifying events to showcase work, etc.
INDIVIDUAL GIVING CAMPAIGNS
● Develop direct-mail and crowdsourcing appeals from concept through completion,
● Assist Development and Communications Director in acknowledging donors to crowdsourcing appeals and major events, as needed.
INSTITUTIONAL GIVING (As needed)
● Occasional foundation and corporate grant and sponsor proposal preparation, writing, submission, and cultivation,
● Assist Development and Communications Director with timely execution of grant reports during high volume grant periods,
DATABASE (As needed)
● Assist with accurate entry of donor information/update records in database (Network for Good).
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS - IS THIS JOB RIGHT FOR YOU?
● Have stellar interpersonal skills and enjoy being around young people?
● Work well independently?
● Demonstrate initiative and community stewardship?
● Good at problem solving?
● Able to prioritize and multitask fluidly between tasks?
● Team oriented, yet self-directed and proactive?
● Aware of systemic injustices that affect many youth in Baltimore?
● Able to communicate effectively to diverse groups of audiences?
● Committed to improving the lives of young people and Wide Angle’s mission?
● 2+ years of progressive professional experience in communications.
● Proven effectiveness in communications strategy development and implementation.
● Familiarity with event planning and trends in social media marketing.
● Superior organizational skills and attention to detail.
● Experience maintaining and synchronizing a communications strategy through multiple social media platforms.
● Self-starter and adept at both working independently or collaboratively.
● Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills.
● Flexibility to adjust priorities to meet deadlines, juggle multiple assignments, and work in a dynamic environment.
● Exceptional interpersonal skills for collaborating with staff and external partners.
● Proficiency in graphic design and familiarity with video production are a plus.
● Understanding of creative youth development preferred.
How to apply:
All WAYM hiring is contingent upon successful state and federal background check clearance. To apply, email your resume and cover letter, along with a writing sample, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name and position in the email subject line (ie: Joe Doe: Communications Coordinator Application). Interviews for qualified applicants will begin on a rolling basis before the deadline, with January 23, 2019 as the last day to apply.
This full-time hourly position offers a starting annual salary of $35,000 - $40,000. In addition to a positive organizational culture, our comprehensive benefits package for this position includes:
● Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) and Paid Holidays
● Eligibility for year-end discretionary bonus
● Medical, vision and dental insurance plans
● Paid Professional Development Opportunities
● Life Insurance (100% Employer Paid)
● Simple IRA Retirement Plan with 3% Employer Contribution
Wide Angle Youth Media is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or handicap, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, citizenship status, service member status, genetic information, union affiliation or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Wide Angle Youth Media is an E-Verified employer.
FALL LEAD & ASSIST VIDEO INSTRUCTORS
Wide Angle Youth Media is currently hiring an outgoing and team-oriented Lead and Assist Instructors for our high school and middle school programs. Wide Angle Youth Media is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that provides Baltimore youth with media education to tell their own stories and become engaged with their communities. Our programs occur during the school year in various sites including our Howard St location as well as Enoch Pratt Free Libraries. Programs typically fall between the hours of M-Th 3pm-7:30pm. Pay is $15-$18/hour (for all hours worked, including planning, preparation and contact hours).
In addition to facilitating the workshop, the LEAD/ ASSIST INSTRUCTORS are responsible for the following:
Working with students to produce and complete final projects. Projects will be shared at the end of the semester in a closing ceremony for students and families.
Post-production work will be required.
Reviewing curriculum and communicating with the Assistant/Lead Instructor and Director of Programs before and after each class.
Oversee the Food Program by serving food to students and keeping track of reporting paperwork as necessary.
Participating in planning meetings prior to program to discuss classroom projects, curriculum and program protocol with the Director of Programs and other teaching staff.
Assisting with field trips and a closing ceremony event as needed.
Completing daily reports after each class, keeping track of attendance and paperwork, and other administrative tasks as assigned.
The following skills are required for the LEAD/ASSIST INSTRUCTOR position:
Advanced experience in one or more fields: VIDEO (all aspects of video production, editing in Adobe Premier, with experience in both narrative and documentary).
Previous experience facilitating/teaching K-12 aged youth. Preference will be given to instructors/media makers with a strong structural/race equity lens.
Ability to communicate effectively with staff, parents, young people, volunteers, and community groups.
Familiarity with basic computer operations: email, word-processing, spreadsheets, and basic graphics.
Enthusiasm and passion for mentoring others and making change in communities.
Reliable transportation is required for this position.
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and a link to your online media via the assigned locations on this Google form by December 15, 2018. Acceptance of positions offered to applicants of Wide Angle Media is contingent upon fingerprinted background check.
Wide Angle staff engage in ongoing Anti-Oppression/Anti-Racism (ARAO) trainings to improve understanding of related issues and their impact on our students and their communities.
Wide Angle Youth Media is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or handicap, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, citizenship status, service member status, genetic information, union affiliation or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.